SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 1 09:38:16 PST 2000

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 29-Feb-100 RE: SC - Feasts in
Trimaris by Jehanne Argentee at netzero
> No, but I would argue there is no reason not to wear cotton instead of
> wool, because Florida is just too hot! I've been told that having Viking
> garb in cotton isn't authentic... But it feels alot better to me. :) Then
> again, I'm not entering my garb into ArtSci... I'm just trying for
> something that looks alright while being comfy.

But this argument doesn't hold either.  The reason to use cotton instead
of wool is not that wool is hotter (in the appropriate weight and weave,
it's actually cooler and better in hot weather), but that the
appropriate wool is not only almost impossible to get, it's
prohibitively expensive.  (and, if someone knows where to get reasonably
priced light-weight wool [crepe, etc], PLEASE let me know where to buy
it!!!!!)

But the argument above isn't true for period cooking vs modern cooking--
many period ingredients are easy to get, don't cost an arm and a leg,
and produce fine products whose taste is quite pleasing to the modern
palate--e.g. the effort and cost of making good period food is equal or
less than that to make good modern food.  Since this is a medieval org,
and all else being equal, why make modern food at all?

toodles, margaret