SC - hiding ingredients

Casey O'Donovan DO26 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 2 13:21:51 PST 2000

Thank you David.

Ever since I have taken cooking seriously (other than something that I just did)
I have thought that the avalanche of food that comes out of some kitchens, while
often prepared wonderfully, is too much for the modern (and it would seem
medieval) stomach to handle. It is good to see then that it is more appropriate
to serve two courses with four dishes than four courses with four dishes.

Sean O'Faolain

>>> david friedman <ddfr at best.com> 1:25:43 PM 3/2/2000 >>>
On a tangent:

At 12:08 PM -0500 3/2/00, Casey  O'Donovan wrote:

>  Especially since we offer
>so many removes during the typical feast.

1. "Remove" is not, SCA culture to the contrary, a period term for
"course." "Course" is.

2. So far as I can tell from menus, the typical English or French
medieval feast had two or three courses, each containing a number of
different dishes. So to the extent the typical feast has many
courses, that probably represents another case where the SCA is, by
implication, teaching bad history.

None of which is Casey's fault, of course, but I thought I would take
the opportunity of a single sentence that demonstrated two of the
things wrong with what we teach people.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University