SC - period food cooking classes for children

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 05:58:08 PST 2000

The attention span of a child is difficult to deal with, but you would be
surprised how well they can hold it together for about three hours if you
divide the steps into groups.

I used these:

1)  Playtime: active games to get let energy out (We Played wall ball <bounce
the ball off and catch) (20 minutes)
2)  Set up: what do we need? Get the utensils, find the right spices, wash
our hands and work areas, etc. (20 minutes)
3)  Information stage: what is it? What does it takes like? Where do we put
it? How do we use it? (20 minutes)
4)  Preparation stage: clean it, pare it, cut it, mix it, shape it, put it in
the oven, wash our hands. (40 minutes)
5)  Cooking time (Taking turns to stir the food) AND Game time: chess,
checkers, dominoes, card games, coloring, mazes, word finds. (1 hour)
6)  Set up for eating: tables cleaned  and set up, drinks poured. (10 minutes)
7)  Eating it: (20 minutes)
8)  Cleanup: throw away scraps, clean plates and dishes, repack supplies,
wash tables down. Wash our hands. (20 minutes)
9)  Active game to blow off steam. Blind Mans Bluff, Ball game, etc. (10
minutes)

If you base it on our normal school routine, with frequent interruptions, you
can hold their attention a great deal longer than you would think!

Andrea MacIntyre