SC - Anthimus # 34, was: talk about mincing words... (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 5 18:06:29 PST 2000

Thomas Gloning wrote:

> Here is the original Anthimus #34 text, first. Adamantius, could you
> please post the English version (to me)? -- The question is, what to do
> with the "egrogario" (a form established by the editor) or the corrupt
> word forms of the extant manuscripts.

Translation by Mark Grant, "On The Observance of Foods" pub. Prospect
Books, Devon, 1996.

"34. What is called in Greek afrutum and in Latin spumeum is made from
chicken and egg whites. Lots of egg white must be used so that the
afrutum becomes foamy. It should be arranged in a mound on a shallow
casserole with a previously prepared gravy and diluted fish sauce
underneath. Then the casserole is set over the charcoal and the afrutum
cooked in the steam of the sauce. The casserole is then placed in the
middle of a serving dish, and a little wine and honey poured over it. It
is eaten with a spoon or a small ladle.  I often add to this recipe some
good fish or even some sea-scallops, because they are extremely tasty
and are particularly plentiful around where I live. From clean scallops
are made ‘snow balls’. "

I'm very interested in continuing this, and since it probably will not
lead to any angst, in which this subject differs from, say, cuskynoles,
it may be helpful to others on the cooks' list, so I'd just as soon keep
it public. For now, anyway. Right now, though, I'm a little behind on
the paperwork I do for the boring, administrative side of the SCA.
Perhaps we can talk some more about hydro/hygro/oxy/oeno-garum tomorrow?
The sauce, for what it is worth, was really tasty when made with reduced
chicken stock and a bit of Philipino patis, a Southeast Asian product
very similar to garum, with just a little water added to cut the salt
and to thin the sauce so that when it reduced in the cooking, it
wouldn't burn. Not that this constitutes anything like conclusive proof,
of course, but arguments against it would not seem to legitimately
include its tasting bad ;  ) . Maybe I'll bring some to Trimaris ;  ) .

Hoping to talk again tomorrow...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy