SC - question after recipe

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Mon Mar 6 08:14:12 PST 2000

For spices I'd use a good unflavored 100 proof vodka.
While many period "aquavitae" recipes are wine based, that is not
necessarily the defining characteristic. The term "Aquavitae" appears
to have been applied to any ardent distilled alchohol.
There are plenty of examples of Grain-based Aquavitae's in late period.

Some commercial Vodkas are made from grains (not always from potato
as popular myth would have it) Therefore, IMHO,  a good quality vodka is
a perfectly reasonable substitute for period Aquavitae, unless the origin
of the aquavitae is given in the recipe.
Vodka Vibarowa is made form rye, for example.
Many premium Polish vodkas are made from fruits as well as grain, too, in
recipes that are very close to what I have seen of period recipes.

If you do some research into the Vodkas available in your area, you may
be able to find some that duplicate nicely the flavors of many AquaVitae
called for in period recipes and extractions.

Brandu