SC - Starter Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 23:08:09 PST 2000

Diana wrote:
>Y'know, I just remembered a wonderful cookbook that has sat on my shelves
>for a dogs age!  It is called The Settlement Cookbook..  It was sold thru
>many outlets, and you may even be able to find an old copy in used
>bookstores, or look one up.
>
>The story behind the cookbook is that it was started by early settlers on
>the American Continent.  Many young girls came here as brides, and were not
>as adept at cooking as their mothers.  The older women wrote up a cookbook
>with old-world recipes to aid the younger women.

Well, that's not quite true...

 From http:/www./kosherfest.com
1901
"The Settlement Cook Book" began as a German-Jewish cookbook, created
by a woman who sought to help the wave of immigrants that swept into
the United States at the turn of the century. First issued in 1901 as
a pamphlet containing one hundred German Jewish and
turn-of-the-century American recipes, it has proved to be one of the
most successful American cookbooks. Lizzie Black Kander, the daughter
of German-Jewish pioneer farmers, compiled the "The Settlement Cook
Book". She was also known as the Jane Adams of Milwaukee for her work
on behalf of Eastern European immigrants.

- -----end quote-----

>My copy has wonderful
>descriptions of how to choose meat, fruits, veggies...how to proof yeast,
>make bread, cut up just slaughtered critters....almost everything you could
>want to know, or need to know.  Not much of that fancy cooking, but there
>are many wonderful recipes!

I have my mother's copy from the 1940's or early 1950's worn and
stained. It's real homey.

Look for the brisket

or didn't the mohel bring it...

Anahita
ducking and running REALLY fast for The Rock.