SC - Re: Alcohol in food (RANT)

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Mon Mar 6 20:18:43 PST 2000

"B. M. Crumb" wrote:

> Naturally occurring alcohol, such as that occuring in the natural
> digestion of sugars and starches are not in violation of my
> religious food restrictions, and personal preferences.  Just what
> is wrong with saying I don't want wine added as an ingredient in
> my food?  Or ale or other alcoholic beverage?  Sourdough,
> flavoring extracts and things like that are not in violation of
> the Word of Wisdom... and are normally used as ingredients in
> items that ARE cooked long enough for the alcoholic content to
> cook off.  And, I don't know about you, but even before I joined
> my current church and chose to obey the dietary restrictions, I
> certainly had no desire to drink fermented iced tea!
>
> I'm not telling people to not use alcoholic additions to their
> food, but I am really offended at the attitude you all seem to
> have against people like me who have valid reasons for not
> wanting to add alcoholic beverages to the food we eat.

>snip

> There are a lot of period recipes out there that can be prepared
> substituting other liquid for the booze, beer and wine in them
> that still taste great.  Okay, so it won't be perfectly period if
> you are looking at an *exact* reproduction of a primary source
> recipe... but a GOOD cook will find logical, good tasting ways to
> make that adaptation.
>
> The attitude I perceive from you and the other people on this
> list, who appear to be astonished that some people don't choose
> to use alcohol in their cooking, implies that our choices are not
> made with forethought and consideration, but merely are the
> inarticulate whinings of people who are merely spoilsports and
> only capable of following blindly the words of some authoritarian
> figure.

M'lady,
I am currently trying to catch up on my mail, so forgive me if I duplicate other's
statements.  I would note that the above is not my view point on the issue & so
would elaborate on how I prepare a feast.  I make no comment on others' opinions &
practices as that is the way the choose to cook, just as I choose my way ;-)

When I prepare a feast I ask for the dietary requirements of my feasters.  It
matters not to me whether such requirements are religious or allergy based:  I will
try my best to oblige.  There is a point where I will not accommodate ("well I
don't like this & I don't eat that & I'm very picky about my food . . . ;-).  There
is a certain point where I will advise that I cannot cater to the person's dietary
requirement and suggest they provide their own food (with a reduced attendance
price) or advise non-attendance at the feast or a refund of their feast fee.

I am attempting to serve a feast that caters to a largish number of people.  I will
balance my dishes so that there is a good mix of dishes to cater for 'mainstream'
tastes (meat eaters, vegetarians & vegans).  I also take it as a bit of a challenge
to cater for more 'precluding' tastes/food allergies (like my lactose intolerant
vegetarian with wheat problems . . .;-).

I use alcohol to cook, but just as I ensure that no one ingredient is used in all
dishes, my prohibition also applies to alcohol.  If you happened to be dining at a
feast prepared by myself, well there would be some dishes that you would be no
doubt choose not to eat which contained alcohol.  Just as others would be choose
not to eat dishes containing mushrooms, or gluten or lactose or nuts etc.  I advise
what ingredients are used in my cooking so that the feasters can make an informed
choice.

My only problem in catering for food tastes/requirements is when I am advised on
the feast day of a dietary requirement.  I feel that it is courteous to provide
food that all feasters can eat (and, if given sufficient notice, have been known
where more bizarre allergies/requirements have been made known to me to prepare
several small simple dishes just for a particular feaster, if I was unable to mix
appropriate dishes into the feast menu).  To be able to cater adequately for
dietary requirements, well it is courteous to be advised of said requirements in
plenty of time ;-)

I _will not_ delete an ingredient from a feast menu because of certain dietary
requirements:  I will merely ensure that there are alternatives to be eaten.  I
mention this insofar as I was once berated by a vegan for the mental anguish caused
by observing meat dishes served at a feast.  The person had assumed that because I
had indicated that her food preferences would be catered for, this would mean that
no meat would be served to others with different preferences . . .

Lorix