SC - Chicken in Milk & Honey CURRY

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Tue Mar 7 09:28:38 PST 2000

>>Take good cowmilk and do it in a pot. Take psel., sage, Hissop,
>>savory, and other good herbs. Hew them and do them in the milk and
>>seethe them. Take capons half y-roasted and smite them on pieces and
>>do thereto pine and honey clarified. Salt it and color it with saffron
>>and serve it forth.

I kinda-sorta redacted this recipe last night.  I didn't look at it close
enough when I first started out though, because it turned out that I did
NOT have more than half the spices it called for.  And even so, it still is
not the same as the Chicken in Milk and Honey we had at the Revel.  I'll
have to keep trying.  This DID however turn out to be a very good dish!
Even my kids ate it!

Since you guys post the cooked versions of your recipes, I will post what I
cooked last night.  I know you will find MANY differences between this and
the original recipe.  Perhaps enough differences that you will say it is no
longer the same thing, I do not know.  ANYWAY, this is what I did

2 lbs. (more or less) boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
olive oil
1 t. rubbed Sage
1/2 t. Cardamom
1/2 t. thyme
1 t. fenugreek
petals of 1 Calendula flower
7 juniper berries
1 qt. of milk (more or less)
1/2 c. honey
1 t. salt

Fry the Chicken pieces in olive oil until mostly cooked.  Add enough milk
to completely cover the chicken (a little more would have been better so
there is enough sauce for the rice).  Add sage, cardamom, thyme and
fenugreek.  Bring to a boil, and let it cook until the herbs blend with the
milk.  About 15 minutes.  Add the calendula petals (a distant substitute
for saffron, marigolds are a closer substitute. I did not have the real
thing.) salt, honey and juniper berries.  Cook an additional 10 minutes or
so, until you feel the juniper berries have offered their seasoning, and
the petals have colored the dish.   Serve over rice.

This turned out to be a VERY MILD curry, sweet and flavorful without the
heat. I liked it.  Everyone like it.  But it still wasn't anything near
what we had at the SCA Revel last month.  I will keep trying.

- -Laurene