SC - more Tusser

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 18:32:22 PST 2000

Sounds to me like you've got all three right: Herbs to harvest and
distill in the summertime (while they're fresh) in your distillatory or
still room.  Though I'd guess most of these would probably be distilled
in water rather than spirits.

Here's another Tusser quote to go with it:

The knowledge of stilling, is one pretty feat,
the waters be wholesome, the charges not great:
What timely thou gettest, while summer doth last,
thinke winter will helpe thee, to spende it as fast.

Tara

Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

Ok, since I filed the first message wrong, I'm going to ask now. :-)
What does "to Still" mean here? This would seem to say that summer is
the time to pick these, but... I guess it could also mean the time to
pick them and boil off and condense their essential oils. Or I seem to
remember something about "still" rooms?