SC - Traps?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 7 21:09:22 PST 2000

Elisabeth Borden wrote:

>      So I ask you all, which is it?  The vessel, or the crust?
> Or is it even something completely different than that?

Well, since you make the crust in the trap, it isn't the crust. On the
other hand, references to pie plates occur pretty early, as I recall. It
seems pretty clear that it is a vessel of some kind, but its exact
nature is unclear. My own pet theory is that a trap is so called because
it traps the pastry and keeps it from spreading out all over the floor
of the oven, leaking, burning, etc. It may be nothing more than the hoop
we have been discussing previously, which would make it little more than
what modern bakers know as a "flan ring".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com