SC - troll vs. gate

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 8 08:59:09 PST 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> If they believe that, Adamantius, you have this wonderous site for a bridge
> battle nearby, which is available for just a small fee.
>
> Bear
>
> > I think they use "troll". The justification, last time I saw this
> > discussed, was that certain terms, among them being "autocrat" and
> > "trollbooth", were mandated by Corpora (whether this is still the case,
> > or ever was, I don't know) and while this was considered regrettable, it
> > wasn't worth making a fuss over _that_ particular issue.
> >
> > Adamantius

Believe what? That the SCA uses certain terms which are undeniably silly
but are retained for common-denominator ease of communications? Like
"autocrat"? Having finally located and checked Kingdom Law, I see now
that there is no reference to troll, but quite a few usages of the word
"autocrat". My use of the word "mandate" may have been misleading, but I
believe the Corporate requirements for an event notice include at the
least, the word "autocrat", which makes it, effectively, mandated.
"Troll" is questionable, but then I did say I didn't know if this is
still, or ever was, true.

Oh, the Brooklyn Bridge is no longer mine to sell. Got some cash for it, though...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com