SC - troll vs. gate

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 8 10:48:34 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so do the East Kingdom laws use the word "troll" or "gate"?
>
> I think they use "troll". The justification, last time I saw this
> discussed, was that certain terms, among them being "autocrat" and
> "trollbooth", were mandated by Corpora (whether this is still the case,
> or ever was, I don't know) and while this was considered regrettable, it
> wasn't worth making a fuss over _that_ particular issue.
>
> Adamantius

Master A, You really ought to know better than to make a statement like
that without looking it up...;-)

I see no mandate. According to Corpora, Section II.C:

"C. Individuals in charge of events. Each Society event must have one
Society member appointed by the sponsoring branch in attendance and
responsible for the general conduct of the event. When an event involves
only one type of Society activity, the responsible member is the
appropriate branch officer, or someone designated by that officer. Where
an event includes a variety of activities, the responsible member is the
branch Seneschal or someone designated by the branch Seneschal. In
addition, events including Society combat or combat-related activities
must have at least one warranted marshal, designated by the Marshal of
the sponsoring branch, in attendance and responsible for those
activities."

The word 'Autocrat' does not appear in this section. I read through the
rest of Corpora and didn't see it. Hardly a mandate.

Mundanely, it is called an Event Coordinator or Volunteer Coordinator,
or even a PIC (Person-In-Charge). You could call the the Event Steward,
Mayor of the Palace, A Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, That Idiot Over There,
The Fall Guy, or just Bob. OUR OFFICIAL RULES DON"T SAY. There's also no
mention of what to call the person collecting money at the door. And no
mention of what to call the person in the kitchen with their hair melted
to their head like a helmet, waving a spoon and raving about Cuskynoles
or some such fool thing. And I don't believe that things like that
SHOULD be mandated by law or custom. Because customs vary and law should
be reserved for inportant things, like making sure there's a marshal at
fight practice to supervise.

BTW, the quote from Corpora comes from the on-line version, c. 1993.
Took me all of two minutes to find it.

'Lainie the Retired (ok, maybe only slightly retired) Seneschal