In defense of Canute (was Re: SC - Re: Period Norse)

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 11:09:38 PST 2000

On 3/7/00 9:39 PM sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

>Part of what is today Sweden IIRC. The southern tip (SkAne) was part of
>Denmark until mumble, way later than the SCA period.
>
>/UlfR
>
>--
>Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se

Actually, the relatively recent find of a coin in Sweden and minted there
indicates that the Swedes were acknowledging him as overlord, I think the
term is yfirkonungr.  I'm not sure if I've seen a photo of the coin or
not and don't remember the precise legend.  Knut claimed Sweden was under
his rule at the time but scholars had doubted the claim until this find.

Meistari Gerekr
Gary Walker