SC - Spanish/Greek cooking

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 8 14:28:22 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 8 Mar 00,, that Mbatmantis at aol.com wrote:

>   I am looking to purchase one or two late period Spanish or Greek
>   cookbooks;

I have no notion about Greek, but I can tell you what's available for
period Spanish cuisine.  First, two questions: are you looking for
something that includes modern redactions (with measurements, etc.)
and more importantly, do you read Spanish?

If you read Spanish, there are several late-period cookbooks that have
been reprinted in modern times.  I am not sure if any of them are
currently in print and available for purchase.  One option is to do as I
have done -- request them via inter-library loan and trot down to the
nearest cheap photocopy shop.

The most detailed of the Spanish cookbooks is _Libro del Arte de
Cozina_ (1599) by Diego Granado.  It has in excess of 700 recipes,
some of which were lifted from an earlier work by Ruperto de Nola.

If you don't read Spanish, the options are more limited.
_The Original Mediterranean Cuisine_ by Barbara Santich contains a
selection of Catalan and Italian recipes in the original, in English
translation, and with a modern redaction.  There are some translated
recipes from various sources in Stephan's Florilegium.  There are
several gentles (myself included) who are working on translating some
of the late-period and post-period cookbooks, but I don't know of any
that are yet done and available for purchase.

If you have specific questions, let me know, and I'll answer as best as I
can.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann