Fwd: Re: SC - RE: Ale bread

Kathy and David Johnson mohawk5 at itis.com
Wed Mar 8 19:10:54 PST 2000

> > This looks great! Just what I was looking for. What kind of flour do you
> > recommend? I was planning to use a wheat/white mixture.
>
>Having bolted my own freshly ground wheat, I can say with some authority
>that period bread (the fancy kind) was made with white flour.  It comes out
>looking a pale cream color that bleaches to white in the sun or with age.
>
> > I get to make 75 large loaves of this kind and another 75 of a
> > saffron/cardamom bread for a feast on Tax Day! Wheeee!!
>
>Recipe please.  Sounds yummy.
>
>Raoghnailt
Nothing special. It dates from my early days. I've cooked locally in the
SCA for a long time but only as a by-the-seat-of-my pants cook. If the
ingredients and method are period...
I am moving more towards the studious side these days.

Your favorite white bread recipe, add 1/8 t saffron to the warm liquid and
1/4 to 1/2 t cardamom to the flour (depending on the size your recipe makes
and how much you like the taste!) I prefer to use the 1/2 t in a recipe
with 8 C flour.

Thanks for the help. I have only been on the list for two days but I'm
loving it!
Kathryn