SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 9 11:32:13 PST 2000

Quite a while ago, Lorix wrote:
>...  Attending the feast will
>be a couple of people with a variety of food
>preferences and/or allergies.  Now I am fine with
>most things but I am looking for a protein dish
>for a lactose intolerant vegetarian (in this case
>meaning no fish or chicken, butter, cheese or
>other dairy products).

and made it clear later that the dish also had to include no wheat or
eggs. Several people suggested beans; here is my favorite period fava
bean dish. The greens, sage, and figs give it a more interesting
taste than bean dishes usually have.

Fried Broad Beans
Platina p. 115 (book 7)

Put broad beans that have been cooked and softened into a frying pan
with soft fat, onions, figs, sage, and several pot herbs, or else fry
them well rubbed with oil and, on a wooden tablet or a flat surface,
spread this into the form of a cake and sprinkle spices over it. [end
of original]

1 c dried fava beans
6-8 T lard
1/2 c+ onions
2/3 c figs (cut in about 8 pieces)
1/2 t sage
1/2 t salt
pot herbs:  1 1/2 c spinach, packed
1 1/2 c parsley, packed
1 1/2 c mustard greens, packed
1 1/2 c turnip greens

Spices for sprinkling on top: 1/4 t ginger, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t pepper

Bring beans to a boil in 2 1/2 c water, leave to soak about 1/2 hour,
then simmer another hour, until soft. Drain the beans, mix the whole
mess together and fry it in the lard for 10 minutes, then serve it
forth with spices sprinkled on it. This is also good with
substantially less greens. The original doesn't specify what greens
to use; other greens I have used on occasion include cabbage and
dandelion greens, depending on what I could get.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook (way behind on the list)