SC - RE:SC Traps

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 9 17:32:28 PST 2000

Aoife comments:
>>>Adamantius could probably give us a good exposition on the make-up of a
good, hard crust, if he was feeling so inclined on this nice spring day. I
go for hot-water crust myself, made with real butter. Butter always hardens
well for me, and is much harder than most other fats are when cold IMO. I
usually need the use of a collar to restrain the sides of the pie while
baking.<<<
I have always made my Melton Mowbrays in raised pastry coffins, though
usually round.   Hi-gluten flour and boiling lard are what I use to make the
dough, coiling on an inch thick base like making pottery.  This is what
Elisabeth Ayrton instructs in _Provential English Cooking_.   She notes
that her recipe comes from the 14th century.  Arundel Castle I think.
Actually, the crust if you pour in sufficient stock becomes quite tasty
and a good deal usually is eaten by the feasters in my experience (about
a third of the crust)

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"