SC - need humus recipe for diabetic class

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Mar 9 20:20:07 PST 2000

It's pretty much a paste made of (thoroughly) cooked chickpeas (aka "garbanzo
beans"), usually combined with small amount of tahini (sesame paste), lemon
juice, salt, fresh garlic, and sometimes a little cumin.
The easiest way to make it is to use a can of the chickpeas, a couple T of
tahini, a good splash of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a couple of peeled, fresh
garlic cloves (depending on your garlic tolerance), and a pinch or two of ground
cumin.  I blend this all in my blender, about 1 c. at a time, adding the
reserved liquid from the can of chickpeas.
Another, really yummy, version comes from _The Enchanted Broccoli Forest_ by
Mollie Katzen, and runs thusly:
Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 c. raw [dry] chickpeas
1/4 t ea: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground ginger, dry mustard, turmeric,
and
            paprika
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. tahini
1 and 1/2-3/4 t. salt
1-2 T. cider vinegar
3 medium garlic cloves, crushed
3 scallions, finely minced (whites and greens)
1-2 t. tamari sauce

1.  Soak the chick peas overnight [in water].  Cook in a large kettle in plenty
of boiling water, until _very_ soft (1 and 1/2 to 2 hrs.).  (The softer they
are, the easier they mash.)  Drain and mash well.
2.  Combine the mashed chickpeas with all remaining ingredients.  Cover and
chill.