SC - need humus recipe for diabetic class

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 21:50:10 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/9/00 10:19:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:

<<
 During our class tonight the dietitian wanted a recipe for hummus.  Can one
 of you good gentle please send me one.

 Thanks

 Lrd Frederich (taking this class instead of gulf wars, not a happy camper}

    Hummmmm, I've been making it long enough that I don't measure anything
except by eye and taste any more. But if that will help, here's my general
method......
    Soak and cook a couple or more cups of Chickpeas. When they are done,
cool a bit and peel a few cloves of garlic, to taste. Drop them in a food
processor and mince as finely as possible. Add the juice of a lemon and
process again, to get the garlic as fine as possible. Add the chickpeas, and
pulse to chop. Pour in a fair amount of *good*, extra virgin, olive
oil--maybe 1/4 cup? This is a definite flavor element, so don't eliminate
completely unless your diet demands it. Add salt to taste and see if you need
to add more lemon or garlic. If the mixture is too thick at this point--and
it probably will be--add enough of the cooking liquid to thin it down to suit
you. Now grind up cumin and coriander seed and add those to taste--at least a
tablespoon each for a largish batch like this, and usually more. I tend to
use more cumin than coriander, since I love the one and only tolerate the
other.
    I usually call it done at this point. Most recipes add tahini as well,
but I'm not fond of it, so I usually don't have it on hand. There's usually
not enough in the hummus to make a big flavor difference anyway..........
Also, a lot of recipes seem to put chopped parsley in or on top of the
hummus, which is nice but tends to reduce the shelf life of the dip, so I
rarely bother.

    Sorry my recipe is so vague! Maybe some of your crowd will still find it
useful.....

                    Ldy Diana