SC - Book Review WAS Verjus

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 09:19:18 PST 2000

	Magdalena asked:
	> Gillian Riley (RENAISSANCE RECIPES) in her glossary states that
	> the English (not big grape growers) used the juice of green plums
and
	> gooseberries instead.
	I've seen recipes for crab apples, but not green plums.  Does she
document her
	sources?

Not at all. Here is my review of her book - YMMV:

"RILEY, Gillian. Renaissance Recipes
Pomegranate Artbooks. 1993.
An amusing enough coffee table book. It talks about renaissance cooking and
customs, has redactions, and mentions original sources, but has the
irritating flaw of giving no solid references outside the bibliography.
Nonetheless, it is a nice book to have for the pictures of food and feasts -
useful for tabledressing and selection of feastgear. It also is the first
place I've found that mentions zabaglione as being in period, for which I am
happy to forgive it much!
Recommended as a picture book only or an on-sale buy."

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk