SC - portioning per table and crashing

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Sun Mar 12 18:11:03 PST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Peters, Rise J. wrote:

> At least in Storvik, here in Atlantia, we tend to serve our feasts
> apportioned per table, assuming (generally) eight feasters per table.  So
> anyone who crashes feast is basically sharing the food of those who choose
> to let them sit there, and not costing us anything extra.  Not that this
> makes it okay, but it does make it less of an issue.

that's how i learned to cook and serve.  i have had a hard time though, at
some events, insisting to the autocrat or hall set up crew that if i am
cooking for 160 people (20 tables of 8) that 20 and only twenty and not a
single table more be set up in the hall.

if you do your portioning for tables of eight, and then the autocrat sets
up and extra six or eight tables, and people sit apart rather than
together, it's hard to make the right amount of food go to the right
places or to even TELL if there are more people than there should be.

elaina