SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 12 23:04:16 PST 2000

Admantius replied to me:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > some of the discussion and more details on the "Harpestraeng" series of
> > texts can be found in this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of my files:
> > Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
> > oldest cookbook in the Western world.
>
> In the absence of someone more officially entitled, and full of more
> emotional attachment to this issue, I will take this opportunity to say, "Harumph!"
>
> " 'Harumph,' I say! It may be the oldest _medieval_ cookbook in
> Christian Europe, but neither the oldest cookbook in the Western World,
> nor even the oldest medieval cookbook in the Western World. In the
> civilized parts of the Iberian peninsula, before the reconquest of the
> barbarian Franks, etc., etc."

Hmmm. Yes, I guess I should add non-Classical to this. Maybe I will in
the description at the top of the file. Unfortunately, I only have a
limited amount of room in the filelist. Of course, if anyone thinks my
description can be improved anywhere, let me know and I will consider
changing things.

> Phil / Adamantius (did I do it right???)

Do what right?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net