creme boylede (was: SC - Feast Fees in Ansteorra)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Mar 13 04:37:18 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> IIRC, this is a stirred custard along the lines of Creme Anglaise?
> Milk or cream "boiled" with egg yolks? Books are all over after
> yesterday's CheeseFest.

Yes. Recipie at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/desserts.html#46.
Basically cream and eggyolks, with some bread, butter, a bit of
sugar and a tad of salt.

> One trick which may or may not be represented by the original recipe,
> which, as I say, I don't have handy, is to heat your cream separately
> from the eggs, which you can have beaten in another bowl on the side

In the original you heat the cream+bread homogenate until "warme hot",
then stir in the eggs. Your method makes sense, and I'll try it next
time I make some.

> point where thre are so many eggs in proportion to other liquids that
> they'll have little alternative to scrambling.

Ok, good to know that there's an upper limit. I mean, with all that
cream one might be tempted to make it healthier by adding more eggs...

> Now, if my recollection of this recipe is completely off base, and I've
> just made an ass of myself, maybe someone could post the original?

Nope, you where fairly close:

Creme Boylede

   Two Fifteenth Century p. 8/52

   Take creme or mylke, and brede of paynemayn, or ellys of
   tendre brede, and breke it on the creme, or elles in the
   mylke, an set it on the fyre tyl it be warme hot; and thorw a
   straynour throwe it, and put it into a fayre potte, an sette
   it on the fyre, an stere euermore: an whan it is almost
   y-boylyd, take fayre yolkes of eyron, an draw hem thorw a
   straynowr and caste hem ther-to, and let hem stonde ouer the
   fyre tyl it boyle almost, an till it be skylfully thikke; than
   caste a ladel-ful, or more or lasse, of boter ther-to, an a
   good quantite of whyte sugre, and a litel salt, an than dresse
   it on a dysshe in maner of mortrewys.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
By 2000 we were supposed to have computers bright enough to argue
with us, but that doesn't mean the way Word does it.
		-- Jo Walton