SC - Help for Eastern European Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 13 08:47:59 PST 2000

- --============_-1259155018==_ma============

At 7:19 AM -0500 3/13/00, Hank wrote:
>Unto the cooks of the list does Muirghen send greetings
>
>Well I have stepped in it rather spectacularly.  I volunteered to
>cook a feast (November) but in a cuisine I am not familiar with.  So
>I ask your help to find delectables for a feast centering in Russia,
>Hungary, Poland, Prussia or even as far south as Constantinople.  If
>you can help I greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for things that
>are period and range in flavour.  My plans at the moment are three
>removes (in addition to appetizer and desert) of beef, chicken, and
>pork.  But I am intrigued with a venison recipe I recently
>discovered, unfortunately, no documentation.  I am willing to do
>some redacting if required, but am fluent only in English!
>
>Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>In Service to Crown and Coronet
>Muirghen

There is a recent book, in English, on medieval Polish cooking; I
haven't read it and don't know how reliable it is. The only other
Eastern European sources I know of (in English) are the Domostroi,
which is a very late period Russian household manual containing a few
usable recipes, and a few Hungarian recipes in _The Cuisine of
Hungary_ by George Lang.

Incidentally, SCA usage to the contrary, "remove" is not a period
term for "course." Course is.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
- --============_-1259155018==_ma============

<excerpt><smaller>Unto the cooks of the list does Muirghen send
greetings

Well I have stepped in it rather spectacularly.  I volunteered to cook
a feast (November) but in a cuisine I am not familiar with.  So I ask
your help to find delectables for a feast centering in Russia, Hungary,
Poland, Prussia or even as far south as Constantinople.  If you can
help I greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for things that are period
and range in flavour.  My plans at the moment are three removes (in
addition to appetizer and desert) of beef, chicken, and pork.  But I am
intrigued with a venison recipe I recently discovered, unfortunately,
no documentation.  I am willing to do some redacting if required, but
am fluent only in English!

In Service to Crown and Coronet

Muirghen

</smaller>There is a recent book, in English, on medieval Polish

ddfr at best.com

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/