SC - Lady Seaton's Project

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Mar 14 09:42:22 PST 2000

At 9:58 AM -0500 3/14/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>I've been doing this medieval cooking thing, with varying degrees of
>enthusiasm, for about 15 years, you've been doing it since dinosaurs
>walked the earth and were featured as main courses. It's pretty easy for
>people with shelves and shelves of nothing but period cookery sources to
>spend half an hour or so and come up with a few dishes that meet some
>specific dietary need, and can be easily incorporated into a menu for
>home, camp, or feast use. Coming up with a lot of them, though, when you
>have fewer sources and would perhaps be intimidated by some of the
>sources if you did have more, can be difficult, and sometimes discouraging.

On the other hand, taking an existing recipe and modifying it
substantially, and testing it until it works, is also a considerable
effort--with much less benefit at the end. You learn less from the
process, and the people who eat your food have less of a medieval
experience, and may end up learning things that aren't true.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/