SC - idea request

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 15 04:58:16 PST 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: k&t Radford <ktradford at cyberport.com>
To: sca cooks guild <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 1:53 PM
Subject: SC - idea request

> Greetings one & all
>
> The Kitchen Cuties of our shire would like to do a feast in early August.
> It will be our 2nd feast ever prepared & served, for a group larger than
> 40.
>
> One of the things that we would like to serve is Brisket as it will be
> fairly easy for us to get our hands on & at a good price if we purchase it
> around May.

I recommend NOT using brisket.  It is cheap.  The problem is you lose a lot
of the weight as you cook due to fat loss.  Check around.  You can get a
good cut of shoulder or even top sirloin for under $2.00/lb.  Some butchers
carry shoulder clods... its a boneless cut of shoulder.  These do have fat
but its covers the outside of the meat.  Cook with the fat on and cut it off
before serving. Makes the meat juicy and more tender.

> Does anyone have any ideas on what types of period recipes would be
> suitable?  So far the feast does not have any theme.  As we are not yet
> that experienced, but the 3 of us do like to cook. The event will be for
> our Shire defender.

Again, not sure of any that call for brisket itself.  There are a number of
roast recipes. Maggie Black has one for Stew'd beef (the meat is first
roasted and then braised in a sauce with spices.... very good).  I just did
this for a feast and got lots of compliments on it. I will post the recipe
separately.  I changed the recipe from Maggie Black's redaction.  I will
post it separately.

Good luck!

Meadhbh
(who lives in Texas where brisket is king... well for barbecue....grin)