SC - Competition entry

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 09:18:58 PST 2000

Okay.  What is the "official" (where ever you are) name for the A&S Laurel
Thingy"?  How is it run?

And where I was (Estrella War) "they" (the mysterious THEY) told me to place
a bowl in front of my entry.    Which I did.  And I did good... I got hershey
kisses and marbles and flowers and many kind words.  The words I appreciated
VERY MUCH!!

Rayne

In a message dated 3/15/00 8:54:59 AM Central Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< ichSCA at aol.com wrote:

 > I am in complete agreement.  I have only entered one "real" A&S competition
 > (the "other" one was a Laurel's Prize thingy where the Laurels came by and
 > put a token in your cup if they liked it - also you were with your entry
and
 > they talked to you [kindly] about it - I really liked this kind of
 > competition).

 In your cup??? Puh-leeeeeze! We're not throwing change to the servants
 here! I stuck around and spoke to as many people as I could, and if I
 gave a token I placed it in the hand, or around the neck, of the person,
 depending on what it was. With one exception, in the case of one gentle
 for whom I had far more nefarious plans. However, I suppose a gesture is
 as gracious as it is perceived to be, so if people liked the cup thing,
 that's cool too.

 > The one I DID enter, I entered a complete diagram on the History of the
 > Marshalling of Arms in England in period, complete with a storyline to help
 > the reader understand it and about 30 hand painted devices showing how the
 > arms where marshalled though the years.  The Heralds that judged it said
they
 > "could not judge it" as it was _inappropriate_ to the competition since we
do
 > not marshal arms in the SCA.  Plus the few comments they did make were
 > negative about the actual Marshalling (which were incorrect comments).
 > (Although one Herald and some members of the populace did come to me and
said
 > they really liked it.)  After the competition I sent the primary judge
 > further documentation to show that he had been incorrect in his comments.
 > Never heard from him.  Then they gave top honors to a piece of work that
 > showed a husband and wife's device together.  Very nice handpainted work on
 > fabric, but Marshalled completely wrong - which is okay since we "don't
 > marshal arms in the SCA."

 As we've seen several times recently, for one reason or another the
 judging was done by people who, for one reason or another, either
 weren't, or thought they weren't, qualified to judge an entry. I agree
 with Berengaria, though, in saying that A&S comps don't have to be evil.
 On the other hand, when the exact same complaint is raised by several
 different people, some of whom won their categories and some of whom did
 not, you have to suspect that there may be a problem with the standard
format.

 And for what it's worth, the Laurel's Prize Tourney (even though when we
 did it, we didn't use the T-word) does not seem to present these
 problems. There was a recent comp in the Northern Region of the East;
 I'd have to check my files on the details, that tried to take a lot of
 the complaints of comp-entrants into account in designing theirs; I
 gather it went very well.

 > After that I decided that my belt is yellow (I am a protege) and thus give
 > service.  I love to paint scrolls and have been told that I should entry
 > something in A&S.  I tell everyone I paint scrolls as a SERVICE to my
 > kingdom.  I also teach dance and other middle eastern classes, but these,
 > too, are to SERVE my kingdom and the SCA.

 Hey, me too, although my belt, had I had one from my master, would have
 been green, and my leaves are in service, too.

 Adamantius
 --
 Phil & Susan Troy

 troy at asan.com