SC - OT - A question of Peers

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 18:23:31 PST 2000

I got my Laurel in 1981, when it was the practice to
completely surprise the recipient.  I was the Head
Cook for the Coronation Feast of King Adrian I and
Queen Shirleah.  I was happily cooking when a herald
came into the kitchen and informed me that I was
wanted in court.  I protested that I couldn't come at
that moment because I was in the process of creating a
very delicate sauce and didn't want it to burn.  But
he was very insistant that I come, so I had to turn
everything off and follow him to court.

Now the practice is to inform everyone beforehand and
allow them to plan their elevation.  Personally, I
would have liked to have been able to invite my
mundane family to be there and I would have liked to
have been in court garb, rather than cooking garb, but
I am not sure that I would have opted for a true
vigil.  Most vigils that I have seen here in Caid are
more like tea parties or open house parties.  I think
I would not have chosen that either.

Huette