SC - Competition entry

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 16 21:15:17 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/16/00 9:51:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> phlip at morganco.net writes:
>
> << their A&S refuses to acknowledge anything prior to 600
>  CE, so I have seriously been considering entering a privy built and designed
>  before 600, but used after 600->>
>
> Corpora does not specify a beginning date for the SCA no matter how much some
> of it's member wish it were so. An ancient Minoan persona is just as valid as
> a Vandal or a tourney knight.

As Phlip says, this policy is not in agreement with Corpora.
Unfortunately, nor is it strictly in violation of it, either. What
Corpora says is something like, each Kingdom shall have a Minister of
A&S, who shall establish policy according to the requirements of the
Society Minister of A&S, and as provided for in Kingdom Law. In the
East, there's very little in Kingdom Law other than that I can set
policy as seems reasonable, and that groups with a certain level of
membership and organization (i.e. all baronies and provinces, and all
shires who do not have a knight-marshall) have to have a MoA&S who
reports to me. The East seems to function on a framework of traditions,
which include that we have no set guidelines for competitions in
general. The Midrealm, as I understand it, has a tradition, probably
established by some early Crown or MoA&S, or both, that for A&S
purposes, period begins at 600 C.E. As Corpora and the Midrealm's laws
are written, it is within the rights of the Kingdom MoA&S to set and
enforce the policy.

Not that it doesn't s**k, mind you, but it's their right, and not all of
the reasons for setting the policy are bad ones, for that matter.

I was pretty shocked to learn of the policy myself; I'd told Phlip that
the best solution to her problem was to organize an event with A&S
activities she felt most appropriate. I never dreamed there would be a
problem with doing that. I'm still not completely certain MK Law or
policy is written in such a way as to grant the MoA&S total control over
all A&S activities in the Kingdom (I know _I_ sure as h*** don't).
Control over regional and local officers, perhaps, yes, but any MoA&S
whose attempts at control include discouraging participation over time
period is not doing his or her job.

> << Hee, hee, hee- we start with food, and carry it to its inevitable
> conclusion >>
>
> Compost?

It takes a heap o' livin'...etc.
Adamantius