SC - Evolution of food-genetics of food

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Mar 17 08:34:30 PST 2000

    Um. We've been eating genetically modified foods for thousands of
years - that's why we've got Black Angus beef instead of roast Auroch. Your
dog, your cat, the veggies you eat are all the result of deliberate genetic
manipulations that have been going on for millenia. That, BTW, is my
definition of a truly sentient life form - one that modifies and directs the
life around them to their own ends.
    We do it with people, too, only we tend to breed for money and power
rather than any other Darwinian principles. Consider the Hapsburgs on one
end, and the de Coucy's on the other. And then you've got the Kennedys . . .
    If you're going to label genetically modified food, the question becomes
whether or not it's 'naturally' modified, or 'artificially' modified. It's
just that a lab can do much faster the same thing that Mendel could do in
his garden over time.

    Sieggy