SC - salty bacon

Marian Rosenberg Brucianna at washcoll.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:37:43 PST 2000

> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:29:08 EST
> From: StellrChef at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - salty bacon
>
> If your washing it off before and afterward, I'd suggest prepping it ahead of time, do your rinsing and then add your own spice mixture to the cooked portions (allowing it to "marinate" until you're ready to use it).  Are you using the unrefrigerated type
>  for lack of refrigeration where you're catering?

Actually, I was using the unrefrigerated kind because it was cheaper per
pound than the refrigerated kind at the American grocery store and the
two of us wanted to make sure it tasted good before listing it as
something to take to Pennsic.  I'm not quite up to the cooking skill of
catering yet.

As for the American grocery store - this was the second grocery store on
this shopping trip.  The first was absolutely amazing, if you are ever
in the Rockville, Maryland area, you absolutely have to check out Korean
Korner.  Their ramen section is larger than most grocery stores sugared
cereal section.  12 feet of shelves with various types of bottled kimchi
ranging from carrot and radish kimchi to at least three varieties
involving seaweed!  Baby shrimp small enough to drink with a straw.
Quail eggs!  Cans of hazelnut oil and grapeseed oil.  Random intriguing
and yummy microwavable dishes with all of the instructions written in
Korean.  A produce section larger than my apartment.  Oh, and for some
reason they also have a spattering of items throughout the store which
are written only in Spanish.

> I'd just prep the refrigerated kind before hand and elimate the
rinsing steps