SC - salty bacon

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sat Mar 18 08:48:39 PST 2000

Having grown up with salt-cured ham, etc.  I can pass on how my mother used to do it.  She would soak the ham/whatever in a vinegar water solution (a little vinegar in a lot of water) overnight, then parboil fit in fresh water  prior to cooking.  If she was
planning to pan-fry the bacon, she would omit the soaking overnight and simply parboil it.  Otherwise the meat is not only tough as shoe leather, but so salty that you will drink enough water to refloat the Titanic!

Kiri