SC - christian names/ Dymphna

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Sat Mar 18 13:54:27 PST 2000

sca-cooks wrote:
 Johann wrote:
>   As Christianity came into contact with other cultures the new
>converts brought their own names into the new Chistian context.
>Remember, all 'christian names' were of another culture at one point,
>Greek, Roman, Celtic, etc..., the only culture this is not true of is
>possibly Jewish from which Christianity sprung to begin with.

Margali, I have a great devotion to your heavenly patroness, she has
been a great help to a number of dear friends of mine.

   Of course you're right Romans do change names to fit their tongues
and strange grammar!!  But, I will hasten to say, though you do not,
that Roman is not on its own merits  'Christian', any more than any
other culture is.

Johann