SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli, "Harpestraeng"+ ftp

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Mar 18 16:43:50 PST 2000

Allison wrote:

>I was reading the Florilegium file on  "Harpestraeng" yesterday.  I have
>Cariadoc's Vol. I, in which it appears (in teeny, teeny print) and tried
>to see if there was anything on-line about it beyond the file, which ends
>with Nana's message that she will post her comparisons of the 3 versions
>she has, after Pennsic.  Did you ever do that, Nana?

A few of them, yes - I think I´ve maybe posted 6-7 recipes in all. I´ve been
meaning to do the rest (around 25 recipes) for a long time but haven´t found
time for it - and since the deadline for a book I´m working on was recently
moved forward a few months, I´m not sure if I will be able to finish the
translations until maybe in a couple of months. I also want to translate
more recipes from the 1616 Danish cookbook.

However, here is a complete list of the recipes - some of them are in all
three manuscripts, some only in one. If any recipe sounds particularily
interesting, I could translate at least one version. Titles (and comments)
in parantheses are mine, since the recipes that are only found in the
younger Danish manuscript do not have any titles.

How to make walnut oil
How to make almond oil
How to make almond butter
How to make almond tarts
How to make soured almond milk
How to make Lord´s sauce, and how many days it will keep
How to marinate a roast in the above mentioned sauce
(Sauce Cameline)
About other sauces
About other sauces (another recipe)
How to marinate fish in its own sauce
An inexpensive sauce
A sauce that is good for small fish
A sauce that will keep three days and no more
A sauce for recently salted meat
(A sauce with thyme and cinnamon)
How to make a dish called white mousse
A dish called coulis
(Larded milk)
(A batter for larded milk)
How to make a pie with venison marrow
(Mock chicken drumsticks (not sure what to call this one))
How to cook a young hen in a simple manner
(Braised chicken)
How to cook a hen with various spices
A dish called kloten en honær (chicken soup with meatballs)
A dish called inder iæghæt (chicken with a garlic sauce)
(Chicken with red onions and wine sauce)
A dish called spæk honer (hen with sage)
Another way to cook a hen
How to season a hen in pastry (that´s the famous Icelandic chicken)
About a dish called koken wan honer (chicken pie)
(Chicken blancmange)
(Chicken soup for the sick)
(Chicken and pork omelet)
(Another chicken and pork omelet)