SC - Lady Seaton's Project

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Mar 18 18:39:53 PST 2000

At 12:22 PM -0500 3/18/00, Elaine Koogler wrote:

>One other pitfall is the fact that recipes, particularly in Apicius
>and Platina,
>as well as other sources, call for liquamen or "garum".  As this is a type of
>fish sauce, it cannot be consumed by vegetarians.

So far as I know, Apicius is the only period cookbook that calls for
this ingredient. Platina, at least the translation Mallinkdrodt
published (I haven't checked the new translation), refers to liquamen
but describes it in a way that makes it clear it is an entirely
different ingredient--not fish sauce but (I think) pork fat, or
something similar. And Apicius, while "period" in the literal sense,
is dubiously appropriate to SCA feasts, given how early it is.

Do you know of any post-roman cookbooks that use garum?

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com