SC - re: cheesemaking

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Mar 20 04:16:33 PST 2000

There are some soft cheese recipes in Two 15th c. Cookery Books, and some
illustrations of cheese making in Tacuinam Sanitatis.

Here's a recipe in verse from Liber Cure Cocorum, 15th c. (BTW, I sent the
scanned text of this MS. to Greg Lindahl, but I don't think it's up yet at
the Med. & Ren. Food page.)

Lede lardes
Take eyren and swete mylke of a cow,
Swyng hom togedur, as I byd now;
Take larde of fresshe porke with alle,
Sethe hit and schere hit on peses smalle;
Cast [th]er in and boyle hit, [th]enne
Styr hit wele, as I [th]e kenne,
Tyl hit be gedered on crud harde;
Leche hit, and rost hit afterwarde