SC - Book on Cordials?

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Mon Mar 20 18:11:08 PST 2000

<< Still no clue about "Maison Rustique"? >>

There are several books with that title up to the 19th century. One of
them is:

"Maison rustique, or The countrey farme: compiled in the French tongue
by Charles Steuens and Iohn Liebault doctors of physicke: and translated
into English by Richard Surflet practitioner in physicke.  Also a short
collection of the hunting of the hart, wilde bore, hare, foxe, gray,
cony; of birds and faulconrie. (...) London 1616."

I did not see this item. It seems to be a translation of a French text.
I found it this way:
1. Start your browser
2. go to "http://copac.ac.uk"
3. click button "Search"
4. choose "title search"
5. key "maison rustique" in the title field
6. click on "search"
7. when the results appear, look for the "download"-button and click
   that button. Key in your email-address etc.
8. The results will be sent to your email-address.

There are other very useful online catalogues like this (e.g. the French
National Library).

If I am not mistaken, most spiced etc. wines mentioned in Arnald of
Villanova's book on wines (c.1310/1478) are not distilled. A recipe that
calls for distillation is used "zu:o zierde der fráwen", 'to beautify
women'.

Best,
Thomas