SC - Escargot

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 21 08:16:35 PST 2000

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> I am quite familiar with Roman fondness for
> snails, but are there any medieval or Renaissance
> recipes in preparing them?  I don't remember
> seeing any after Apicius and before Laroussse
> Gastronomique.  However, my Platina is the
> Mallinckrodt edition and is unindexed, maybe it's
> there.  Anyone know of any?  Did anyone
> but the Italians and maybe the French consume
> them in period?  I have never heard, for example,
> of any reference to them in English cooking.
> Probably the right species of snail doesn't live
> there.

Pretty sure they appear in Le Menagier, and, later, in Digby. Also, I
think there are periwinkle recipes in one of the 14th-century English
sources. Periwinkles are smaller than escargots, and are a marine snail,
but are more like escargots than like, say, whelks.

Adamantius (who has to check for further detail)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com