SC - Re: couscous?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Tue Mar 21 12:58:28 PST 2000

- --=====================_306456375==_.ALT

At 07:05 PM 3/21/00 +0000,Jane Williams said something like:
>More clarification for a beguinner, please?
>

>It hadn't occured to me that there was any other sort of couscous.
>Semolina is made from wheat, isn't it?

I did a little checking, and according to cuisinenet.com:

Semolina is coarsely ground durum wheat, a highly glutinous (hard) wheat.
When other grains, such as rice or corn, are similarly ground, they are
referred to as "semolina," i.e., "corn semolina" or "rice semolina."

>I seem to remember avoiding
>couscous when cooking for a wheat-allergic before). What am I
>missing this time?

So yes, semolina is a wheat, but a different from the average wheat. The
wholewheat would be the stuff with the bran and germ added (at least, I
hope the germ is added). It is darker and has a stronger flavor.

Cheers,
Maggie
- --=====================_306456375==_.ALT

At 07:05 PM 3/21/00 +0000,Jane Williams said something like:<br>
It hadn't occured to me that there was any other sort of couscous. <br>
Semolina is made from wheat, isn't it? </blockquote><br>
I did a little checking, and according to cuisinenet.com:<br>
durum wheat, a highly glutinous (hard) wheat. When other grains, such as
or
are similarly ground, they are referred to as "semolina," i.e.,
"corn semolina" or "rice semolina." <br>
couscous when cooking for a wheat-allergic before). What am I <br>
missing this time? </blockquote><br>
So yes, semolina is a wheat, but a different from the average wheat. The
wholewheat would be the stuff with the bran and germ added (at least, I
hope the germ is added). It is darker and has a stronger flavor.<br>
Cheers,<br>
Maggie</html>