SC - pie crust advice

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Tue Mar 21 22:14:41 PST 2000

>> I personally
deplore uncooked/soggy bottom crust, and since it's  *MY* feast, I want
do everything I can to make sure the bottom crust bakes up nice & dry and
intact.<<

Buy some extra beans--northern, pea, whatever sort of dry beans, or rice,
you get a good deal on.  Use them to 'blind bake' your pie shells, before
the filling goes in.  Any good modern cook book should have a description
of the process, and times, etc.  I'm with you--soggy bottom crusts are
yucky.

You can use a foil 'collar' around the edge to keep the crust there from
overcooking or burning.  Just take it off when you add the top crust, or
lattice, or whatever you are using for the topper.  Brushing the baked
bottom crust with some egg yolk mixed with a little water will help to
seal it, too.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com