SC - Babies have taste buds

Jeanne Stapleton apiskp at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 00:02:24 PST 2000

> Actually, I have always been told that it is the
> excessive quantity of tastebuds in babies which mean
> that bland food is best for them at first.  Too much
> flavour overloads them, or so I was told.

I think the "bland foods" thing is largely an out-
growth of the mental link between those sorts of
foods for invalids and the idea that babies are
inherently fragile...one of the most delightful things
I ever saw was when we were out to dinner with some
SCA friends and others in Portland and were at a
wonderful Thai restaurant, and the two-year-old in
his high chair was slurping down the spiciest curry
at the table with every evidence of relish.

Hm...Duke James and Duchess Verena have two daughters.
When young, the older, Lauriel, had about three basic
food groups: PB&J, macaroni and cheese, and cheese-
burgers.  The younger one, Alys, had a slightly more
hectic toddlerhood because her mother was in an MBA
program at the time, but also her parents were some-
what more determined that she not get locked into
such a limited diet; the result was that she was the
only five-year-old I know who, when asked what to
have on her birthday, said, "Sushi".

Experts have written tomes on the role of nature v.
nurture in these matters; all I can say is that I've
observed that if you start kids early enough on a
variety of foods, they'll encounter some they'll
reject, but they'll be much more open to trying
things in general, and will develop at least a couple
of likings outside the Kraft processed foods realm.

Berengaria