SC - mushrooms

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 22 14:37:11 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Some wild edible fungus have thick rubbery skins which are best removed
> because the texture is objectionable to some people.
>
> Second, if a poisonous mushroom is accidentally included in the batch,
> removing the poison laden peel results in less poison to be ingested.

Also, some wild mushrooms are mildly-to-seriously toxic, but, with
proper processing, are still edible. Peeling before parboiling them
allows more of the toxins to leech out into the parboiling water,
leaving toxin levels in the part of the mushroom that you eat, safe.

I suppose this sounds like an endorsement of poisonous foods, in
response to which I can only say that both salt and water are poisonous
in the right amounts, and that there's a lot of good info on processing
and detoxifying mushrooms in "The Coulour Dictionary of Mushrooms" by
Colin Dickenson and John Lucas, ©1979, 1982 Orbis Publishing, London
ISBN 0-85613-415-5. Not much in the way of recipes, except for things
like, "good sauteed".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy