SC - par-boiling onions

Aelfwyn at aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 18:49:41 PST 2000

Hello the List,
While gathering and trying several of the recipes for our April 1 feast, I
found that the recipes are saying to parboil the onions before sauteing them
with other items. Is the boiling to make a milder onion flavor? To give a
softer texture in the final dish? One of the recipes in question was an
Egerdouce (sp) where the onions were to be boiled then chopped before
sauteing and adding the liquid for simmering the meat. The final product was
very nice and will be served with the day board at Northern Lights. Just
curious about a process I seldom see in modern recipes.
Aelfwyn