SC - First medieval cookery book WAS new book

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 04:00:18 PST 2000

	Gwynydd writes:
		> BTW, on a similar subject - I have no medieval cookbooks
in my oversized
	> cookbook collection.  Could the good gentles on this list put
forward
	> their ideas for a good (and still available!) first cookbook.

REDON, Odile et al. "The Medieval Kitchen : Recipes from France and Italy"
June 1998, Univ of Chicago Press ISBN: 0226706842

Aside from being my favorite general cookbook, this is the one I recommend
as an introductory book, before you start getting into that "must collect
every available primary source" mode that most of us end up in.  ;-)
It has a very good and thorough introduction to medieval cooking - the
methods, ingredients, environment and theory; the redactions are on the
whole well reasoned (disregarding minor quibbles), and if like me you prefer
to do your own, each recipe is given in the original language and a
translation. The recipes also have an interesting and often witty section
about each one, as well as explanations of why they do/use certain items,
forming a continuos tutorial on medieval food throughout the book. I can't
recommend this one enough.
http://www.a1books.com/ is selling the paperback for US$14, the hardback for
US$22, which is pretty good.
My only caveat is that the book isn't for beginning cooks - obviously in
this case it isn't an issue, but I thought I would mention it.

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk