SC - Re: Copied Medievalism

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 05:50:16 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/23/00 7:11:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< On a related point ...  . I was in a thread in a kingdom listserve,
 where someone asked why SCA lady knights didn't use "Dame," that
 being the proper title. I asked whether there was any period evidence
 that Dame was the proper title in period (as opposed to being the
 modern English usage), and suggested several places (Ariosto, in 16th
 c. English translation, and Spencer, both of which have fictional
 lady knights) where evidence might be found. One or two people
 responded to the effect that they had heard, or had read, that "Dame"
 was the period title--as if that was sufficient. Nobody offered any
 evidence. So far as I could tell, people continued in the thread on
 the assumption that someone's third or fourth or fifth hand vague
 memory was actually an adequate basis for an opinion.
 David/Cariadoc >>

Master James Blankheart calls this "Turnip Wearers". He being a master of the
Laurel in 14th Century knowledge, states that if he were to carve out a
turnip and put it on a belt, that soon there would be people regularly
wearing turnips for pouches. I think he is not far from the truth (if at all
off the mark).

I began with Cariadoc's Miscellany, (thank you BTW) and am glad I did. It was
difficult at first, but I kept reading the recipes over and over and over
until they made sense. At some point the recipe clicked, like "OH THAT'S WHAT
THEY MEAN". Now this might not work for everyone. And, I learn more everyday.

Hauviette

Hauviette