SC - strained eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 23 06:13:50 PST 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I've been sorting through my recipes.  I note that several recipes talk about
> straining beaten eggs.  Why is this?

It depends on the recipe. Are the eggs to be beaten, or do the recipes
just say to pass them through a strainer?

One obvious reason that comes to mind is that it will remove bits of
shell, chelezae (I _think_ that's what those stringy white shock
absorbers are called), possibly even embryos. Not to mention the odd bit
of feather or feces which could have found its way into the egg bowl via
the outer surface.

Some recipes also _may_ use the technique as a form of aeration. If you
push eggs (especially whites) through a strainer, they accumulate air
bubbles as the egg wraps itself around and through the little holes. Do
it enough times and you'll have an egg foam or sponge. On the other
hand, I'm not aware of any recipes that say to pass the eggs through a
strainer a specific number of times, so this is speculation. I'm just
making an observation, which may or may not be connected to the instruction.

As I say, it depends on the recipe.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy