SC - Gulf War A&S

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Mar 23 13:34:45 PST 2000

> A A&S competitions may not be my cup of
> >tea but I fully encourage and assist those who do enter.
>
> I AM sorry when I hear of the bad experiences some have had with food
> entries in A&S...here is Ansteorra I have received a great deal of support
> and encouragment.

I've never had a bad encounter when I've entered A&S competitions. I
just don't care to enter them. I prefer using a feast as my A&S entry.
(Did I just hear the Princess of Trimaris scream?)

Although I'm tempted to enter an A&S so I can show the documentation
techniques I was showing you at Gulf Wars.

> People are generally receptive to new dishes and I've
> never met with anyone who was in any way rude or discouraging in
> Competition.

Neither have I.

> >I may be doing Steppes Artisan! Cooking a feast for people who are interested
> >in authenticity! You're welcome to come along if I get the bid.
> >

> When and where?

Not sure of any details just yet. I just put in my bid.

> There can NEVER be enough food classes:-)  Besides, mine will be very basic
> stuff...How are you at subtlty?

Oh COME now my dear Gwyneth. Have you ever considered me subtle?

> Boy, could I use some practice there!

I'm lousy at that. As my ex once said, "Gunthar you do tasty real well but
you need work on pretty."

> I'd
> also like to know more about the theory of humors, the preservation of food
> in the middle ages

I need to learn more about these as well. Maybe I'll start doing research.

> and you could do a fabulous job (and service to the
> Kingdom) presenting a class on recipes and organization for a period (or
> close to period) feast for a large group.

I was thinking of something along those lines but I need to create it so the
average SCA person may find interest in it.

> You could even work up plans for
> that personal 40 person feast you talked about and present that.

Ah, but considering the small scale of the feast and the items presented it
would almost be like doing the feast itself.

> Just a few ideas.  I want to GO to some classes as well as present and I'm
> a sucker for food:-)

I loved teaching my classes at the last King's College. I was basically the
Galloping Gormet in a brass hat.

We'll see if my plans are more stable in a month.

Yers,

Gunthar