SC - Re: egg straining

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 23 21:31:37 PST 2000

From: Mbatmantis at aol.com
>   Eggs today are sold in grades. The lower the grade, the lower the clarity
> of the whites. ( the grade is determined by the size and if the white has
> those little stringies in them ) Since they would have no such system in
> period, my guess is the reason is to separate the stringies.

Interesting. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a grade
indication on egg cartons. I've never thought to look to see what the
actual grade was. I imagine that most (all?) eggs sold in the grocery
are the same grade. I guess I'll have to take a look next time I'm
shopping.

So, since the eggs are sold "unopened", how do they grade the eggs,
since you can't see these white stringies? Do different grades pass
different amounts of light? I thought size just determined "small",
"medium", "large" and "jumbo".

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net