SC - Re: egg straining

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 24 03:53:18 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> From: Mbatmantis at aol.com
> >   Eggs today are sold in grades. The lower the grade, the lower the clarity
> > of the whites. ( the grade is determined by the size and if the white has
> > those little stringies in them ) Since they would have no such system in
> > period, my guess is the reason is to separate the stringies.
>
> Interesting. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a grade
> indication on egg cartons. I've never thought to look to see what the
> actual grade was. I imagine that most (all?) eggs sold in the grocery
> are the same grade. I guess I'll have to take a look next time I'm
> shopping.

Mostly what we get in the supermarkets are AA, if I recall the grading
system correctly. Or at least they started out that way on packing. How
many grades they've lost in shipping and storage can be an interesting
philiosophical question... .

> So, since the eggs are sold "unopened", how do they grade the eggs,
> since you can't see these white stringies? Do different grades pass
> different amounts of light? I thought size just determined "small",
> "medium", "large" and "jumbo".

Don't forget SuperColossal ;  ) . I believe a bright light is used to
determine whether the eggs are fertile or not ("What _is_ that little
speck there?"). Other than that, I think grade is largely  a function of
age. I had never heard about grade being a function of the clarity of
the white, but that may be related to age as well.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com