Growing Shitake Mushrooms OT OOP (was Re: SC - Mushrooms)

Jehanne Argentee jehanne at netzero.net
Fri Mar 24 04:50:06 PST 2000

At 07:39 AM 3/24/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Jehanne Argentee wrote:
>
>> Sink a big eye hook into one end of the log, and you can hang it from a
tree.

>> If you don't get a mushroom harvest, rest the log for 30 days. Then pound
>> it hard and repeatedly against the concrete. Then soak 24 hours, etc...
>> don't know why, but it works for me.
>>
>> Shitake logs give a bigger harvest if you stand it up on an end or hang it
>> in a tree than if you lay it on its side on the ground.
>
>Presumably because mushrooms don't grow between the log and the ground?
>
>Adamantius

Yes, that and the fact that my logs show a strong bias, growing more
mushrooms on one side than another (I think its the side that gets more
sun, but haven't done any real tests). Lay it on its side, and about 1/4 of
the log is productive area. Stand it on its end, and half the log is
heavily productive, with a scattered few on the backside.

Just my experience, folks.

Jehanne